Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Masks NOW TN At-Home Sewist #VirtualVolunteer
MasksNOW TN at-home sewists provide the essential work of sewing masks to be distributed to organizations in need of masks across Tennessee from their own home. Once sewists finish making masks, sewists can distribute the masks themselves, drop them off at Make Nashville—the distribution headquarters for and partnering organization with MasksNOW TN—to be delivered, or can request a distributor to come pick up their finished masks and deliver them to the organizations in need.
You are encouraged to use material available, however mask kits will also be compiled using donated material to MasksNOW TN for distribution to sewists. However, in order for sewists to take advantage of these mask kits, sewists must be registered as volunteers through masksnow.org/volunteers, and the masks must go to the designated organizations as outlined on MasksNOW TN’s Airtable or by a TN state lead.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Sew fabric and elastic together accurately following MasksNOW mask patterns as found on the website.
Reports to: MasksNOW TN Volunteer Lead and MasksNOW TN Distribution Lead
Time Commitment: Set your own schedule.
- Must have own sewing machine or needle and thread and scissors.
- Able to safely use scissors to cut thread and sense of touch to guide material through machines.
- Able to use vision to guide, estimate, and focus on fine detail.
- Able to grip, steadily cut, and measure.
- Able to perform simple addition, subtraction, and doubling in measurement units.
- Follows written and/ or video directions.
- One has completed the COVID-19 14-day quarantine and is no longer exhibiting any symptoms if one has tested positive for, or suspects one has experienced COVID-19 in the past.
Support Provided: The MasksNOW TN state leads are accessible by email, Facebook, and Instagram for any questions you may have. Once you register as volunteer, this contact information as well as other pertinent information will we available. Additionally, patterns, FAQ’s, and material specifications are available on the MasksNOW national website
If you are an experienced sewist without access to a sewing machine, please contact the opportunituy leader below. She will talk with you about arranging a time to come in to Make Nashville as a guest sewist following an orientation to the space.
MasksNow is also in need of donated mask making supplies.
Any Tightly Woven Cotton fabric; Quilter’s Cotton; High thread count sheets; Gros-grain or fabric ribbon - prefer ⅜ inch; General purpose thread; Wound bobbins type 15; Sewing pins or mini clips; Elastic; Cord, bias tape, or thin bungee; Cutting mat or Fabric Scissor.
Fabric is requested to be new or in very good condition, freshly washed and dried on high heat.
If you have any of these items and are able to donate, please contact the opportunity leader below.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: