Frequently Asked Questions about Volunteering Through HON
Does it cost me anything to volunteer with Hands On Nashville?
No, volunteers are not asked to pay a fee. But did you know that there is a monetary cost to connecting volunteers to meaningful service opportunities? Some of our most committed volunteers are also our biggest individual donors. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation to support volunteerism and help make Hands On Nashville even stronger.
How much time do I have to commit each month?
It's entirely up to you. Our goal is to make volunteering easy for everyone to fit into their busy schedules, so we offer projects with varying commitment levels. You can volunteer as much or as little as you like based on your availability and interests. Click here to read more about the different volunteer options we can connect you to.
What kind of tools and resources will I have access to as a HON volunteer?
- You can quickly and easily sign up for volunteer opportunities that need your time, skills, talents, and enthusiasm.
- Opportunity details (including directions) are emailed to you immediately once you sign up for a project.
- You will receive a reminder email before the project date.
- You can easily remove yourself from opportunities you are no longer able to attend.
- You can view and modify your personal information including contact information, skills, and interests.
- You can easily view your volunteer history.
After I've created an account, how do I sign up for a volunteer project?
Click on "Volunteer" and "Find a Volunteer Project" in the menu above to see a variety of ways to browse opportunities. Once you find a project that you'd like to participate in, click on "Sign Up" or "Express Interest" located at the bottom of the opportunity description.
- If you choose a Sign Up opportunity, you can sign up directly for that project. You will receive a confirmation email with directions and any other special instructions. If you have questions about the project, you can send an email to the Opportunity Leader listed at the bottom of the project description.
- If it is an Express Interest opportunity, then our Nonprofit Partner will contact you directly with further information about the volunteer opportunity. You will also receive an email with contact information for the organization so that you can follow up with them if you do not get a response.
How old do I have to be to volunteer?
Because the online privacy of children is important to us, you must be at least 13 years old to register as a volunteer on our website. Although children 12 or younger cannot create an account, several of HON's volunteer opportunities are open to youth in this age group. We offer projects that accommodate volunteers as young as 6. All volunteers under the age of 18 must have a youth waiver form signed by their parent or guardian with them to the project.
- To read more about family volunteer opportunities, including information about how to register your child who is 12 or younger for a project, click here.
- To read about volunteer opportunities for youth and teens, click here.
Each volunteer opportunity is different, so be sure to check the age listing in each project's description.
If you have additional questions, please visit our Help/FAQs page.